KS5 Music Technology
For students ready to take up the challenge of discovering the unique musician inside themselves at post-16 level, we offer a vibrant course:
BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Music Technology
This builds to an A2 equivalent course over 2 years, or if you prefer, an AS equivalent after 1 year.
What makes studying music so special at The Beaconsfield School?
1. Outstanding equipment, including:
- Apple iMac 27", with MOTU 2408 Mk III Pro Sound Card
- AKG, Shure and other Mic's from £80-£400
- Mackie 2408 24-channel Mixing Desk
- Fostex 24/96 Hard Disk Recording Console
- Drawmer MX30 Classic Compressors combined with the Logic X latest plugins
- Tapco 8" Studio Monitors
2. A varied and exciting series of topics - with Music at the centre of everything. Live your passion for music and technology, discover and research into it's hidden secrets and become the unique 'musical you'
3. Powerful Key-skill development - learn how to manage people in pressure situations, advance your ability to solve technicial and musical challenges independently, Combine high-level IT skills with creative skills
4. Committed, caring teachers who will go the extra mile to support your emerging success
5. The warm, friendly and positive ethos from a school committed to your wellbeing
For a flavour of what this fantastic course involves, click on the the Recording Studio Tab (top left)
Former students have gone on to:
- Further Study for a degree in commercial music production at the University of Westminster
- Further Study at BIMM Music College in Bristol, London and Brighton
- Work as an Audio technician for Maclaren-Mercedes F1 Team
- Study to obtain BA (hons) music degree at Oxford Brooks University
- Work as a recording studio assistant for Sony UK
- Study for other related degree courses at Universities including Bournemouth, De Montfort, Bristol and Birmingham
What does the course consist of?
6 Units, 3 in Year 12 and another 3 in Year 13.
Unit Titles and numbers: 1. Acoustics for musicians, 9. Delivering a music product, 14. Listening skills for music technologists, 25. Music Production Techniques, 32. Sequencing systems and techniques, 43. Special Subject Investigation
Click on the link below for the Music Technology (Production) Specification from EDEXCEL BTEC, where you can view and download the unit content that is covered on our course.