Work experience is an important component of work-related learning. It has an impact on young peoples’ motivation and maturation.
Aims of Work Experience
To enable students to:
- improve their communication and other key skills;
- become more aware of the skills and qualifications needed for work;
- improve their knowledge of one particular job area;
- learn how to research into labour market trends and employment opportunities;
- learn more about their own strengths and weaknesses;
- develop positive self-esteem.
The school no longer provides universal work experience to students in KS4. The onus will be on students and parents to organise work experience. This is most likely to be in the form of a part-time job, voluntary work or something specific. For example, students considering Medicine may opt to do work experience in a hospital. However, the school will provide plenty of direction. We will focus on voluntary work and there are plenty of websites that identify opportunities in any local area.
All students in Y12 will undertake work experience towards the end of the academic year.